Visas: Can a Canadian travel to the United States twice, less than 180 days each time?

The US immigration law UU It generally allows people who enter B-1 or B-2 status (which includes Canadian visitors without a visa) to enter for up to six months per visit There's a lot of misinformation out there about this.

Instead of having a strict requirement of no more than six months within a longer period of time, the EE. UU They give immigration agents discretion to refuse entry or, on occasion, admit admission for a shorter period of six months, if they find that a visitor does not meet the conditions of admission as a visitor (eg , if you think that you are actually living in the United States and are making an occasional visa for Canada).

Canadians (and others) who spend a lot of time in the United States also have to worry about the United States. tax Law, because spending more than a certain amount of time in the US UU makes one a resident of the United States UU for the purposes of income tax (regardless of immigration status). That person must report all of their world income and calculate their income tax accordingly.

The answer to your question, therefore, is yes, You can do this, if the officer allows you to re-enter. If the time between your visits is very short, because the officer may decide to consider the duration of the two visits together.

In any case, pay attention to the substantial presence test and the closest connection exception.