Traveling to the Schengen country while waiting for the renewal of my residence permit.

I am a non-European student in Italy. my soggiorno permit expired and I requested the renewal (I have the Italian post receipt waiting to be processed).
Can I travel to Denmark for Christmas with the following documents?

  • residence permit expired
  • passport
  • Italian post receipt (which shows that I have applied for the renewal of the residence permit)?
    Or do I need some other document?