First post here! I am doing a research project on Fastly and CDN for the class and I would love to know what you think about Fastly products (for your information, I have minimal technical knowledge, but a practical knowledge of CDN). If you could answer some of my questions below, I would greatly appreciate it!
- Why would you choose / choose Fastly over other CDN providers such as Akamai and Cloudflare? If not, why wouldn't you choose Fastly? Does Fastly offer value / compelling products over other offers, or are its benefits only marginal compared to competitive offers?
- I understand that Fastly differs by offering services to accompany its CDN. How important are these additional services for your needs? Do you really need them or do you just want them? I know that many of these features are offered separately, but I'm not sure how much Fastly provides by integrating all the features into a single platform. And are they even the only ones that offer such additional functions?
- How important is the amount of PoP a provider operates? I've heard some say that Fastly is better than Akamai, but doesn't Akamai have ~ 2000 PoPs while Fastly only has ~ 60? How can you quickly beat Akamai with lower latency and a better product while maintaining much less PoP?
- How does Fastly compare to large cloud providers such as Amazon, Google and Microsoft offers? If they have an extraordinary product, do you think they can continue to offer a great product, or will large dogs eventually catch up and dominate quickly?
- Are exit fees a major concern when using non-public CDN providers in the cloud?
Thank you to anyone who has contributed!