France: How to obtain a French "Passeport Talent" or a "French Technology Visa" for startup founders?

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. I could be wrong on some points. Feel free to ask any questions there or add your own experience as a comment. Together let's build the frequent questions of French Tech Visa

Good 🙂 The trip starts here:

The first step, to be eligible for a French-Tech Visa for founders or "Talent Passeport", must be accepted as a French accelerator that is associated with the program. The full list is here:

Not all startup accelerators are associated with this visa! So be sure to check!

Some are free, some cost a monthly fee, others take some capital and give you some cash in return.

My personal favorite is ADN x IFM
because it can be applied at any time of the year (it is not a specific date of the lot) and only has a monthly cost, the capital is not stolen. Also the program is in Station F, which is a really amazing place to see once in your life 🙂

If you do not mind waiting for the next batch period, you can also try the Fighter program, which is free for foreigners in some countries or the founders program (it's not free, but it's cheap)

Once you have applied to the program and once it is accepted. You must contact your program administrator to request a letter from DIRECCTE because you want to obtain a "Passeport Talent"

Here is an example of the letter I received from my co-founders. Page 1 French Tech Visa Invite Letter Page 2 French Tech Visa Invite Letter

Make sure I send you a scan and the actual paper version. Some embassies are demanding with this.

Once you have this invitation letter, you should know how to apply for a visa at the nearest French Embassy. This varies from one country to another. Websites rarely help.

The safest way to know is to go to the embassy, ​​without an appointment. Ask them how you are supposed to apply for a visa there. What is the procedure to book an appointment? What building are you supposed to go? What are the visa hours that are part of the embassy? How much are you supposed to pay for this visa? Which form are you supposed to fill out?
Show them the invitation letter to explain what you are looking for.

This is not a normal visa. The usual visa agencies have no clues about it and some embassies also have no clues about what to do.

What you are looking to apply here is a "long stay visa" "Visa de long séjour valant titre de séjour" VLS-TS (read on to get a picture of how it looks, the embassy will understand it better)

The question is. You will obtain a visa that will allow you to go to France and stay for three months. You will not get the Royal Talent Passport at the embassy!

It is only a first step that allows you to go to France and start the process.

Once you have an appointment at your embassy, ​​you should show them some documents.

-A form that you must complete (I would like to have a copy to share here … If you do, edit it)

-Some cash payments to pay the visa fees (approximately € 99, ​​but in your local currency), the exact amount if possible (most embassies do not accept credit cards and have no changes to return).

– Birth certificate and photocopy of it. Or anything closely related.

-Your passport (they will take it if they accept your request)

-The invitation letter I showed above and a photocopy of it. Insist on keeping the true, hopefully they will leave you.

-Any kind of proof that you have the money to survive a year in France.
Be it a bank register where you have more than 18,000 euros.
Or some kind of contract with a French or foreign company that gives a salary higher than 1500 euros per month.
If this contract can be in French, it is an advantage (as will be seen later)

-3 images 35 mm x 45 mm according to ISO / IEC 19794 – 5: 2005
(They can be very demanding with the rules …)

– Maybe, this depends on the embassy, ​​they will ask for a proof of address. As electricity bill (less than 3 months), or rental agreement.

Keep a copy of all those documents! You will need them later!

Once you have requested and paid, they will take your passport, and 2-3 weeks later, you will have the visa to enter France.
It looks like this (important part in red):
Passport talent temporary visa

But that is not the end of the trip.

In your luggage, bring your birth certificate and all the documents you used in step one.

Before arriving in France, or once you arrive in France, you must make an appointment with the Prefecture of Police (police office)
If you are in Paris. The prefecture in charge of the French Tech visa can be found at: "Place Louis L & # 39; epine Police Prefecture"
You are looking at the 1511 office inside the building.

BUT. You can not go there without an appointment. And how to get an appointment? You need to send an email to this email address:

Send them a photo of their passport and a photo of their special visa.
You will get an appointment within 2-3 weeks. (so you can also do it before coming to France, but of course you can do it after your arrival)

They will give you an additional list of the required documents.
Here is the list :

A form to fill out:

Some obscure documents (more explanations later):

Some darker documents:

We're going to go through this one by one.

Form to fill out In agreement. Nothing complicated there. Hopefully they have a version of Engliash sent to you by email.

Dark documents part 1:

Visa de long séjour valant titre de séjour -> You already have that in your passport.

Justification for the civil and national security -> Your passport
your birth certificate Y. A French translation of that!

Yes, even if you have an English version of your birth certificate, you have the right to refuse … Any document (except your passport) that is not in French can and will be rejected.

Also … They do not just want a translation, but a translation of a "certified translator", for example. A translator, based in France who has the right to translate legal documents.

Any certified translation company would do. As long as they are certified in France. For example, this company

Now make sure you get a document from the certified translator that proves that you are indeed certified.

Justification of domicile datant de moins de 3 mois -> They want a proof of address. Either a hotel invoice + hotel document or a certificate from someone who receives it.
If it is a certificate from a friend who receives it, they need a document certifying that he received it. A photocopy of your ID card or residence permit and a rental agreement or property certificate.

THE GREAT FRENCH HACK. Ask a friend to add your name on your electricity bill, it can be done online for free and it's convenient.
The next time you receive an electricity bill it will be your name and your name. This document is a legal proof of address and can unblock access to banks, local schools, employment, etc.

All this should be in French too.

3 identity photos -> 3 images following the same rules (easy to do in France)

Justification d'acquittement of the tax on the title of the séjour and the stamp droit -> This should not worry at this time.

Dark documents part 2:

The document is shown in the nota note of sa nature, they are objet et sa durée, le charactère innovant de son projet économique en France. -> The invasion letter of French technology

Nature document for the recognition of a project for a public body. -> The same invitation letter from French Tech

Justifications for moyens d'existence au salaire minimum of croissance correspondent à temps plein. -> A minimum contract of one year with any company (French or foreign) that grants a monthly salary of more than 1500 euros. Or a bank statement where you have more than 18,000 euros in cash at the bank.
It must be in French or translated by a certified translator.

Once you have all of that, go to your appointment in the 1511 office

After this appointment, if there are no errors in your documents (please let me know if I made any mistakes)

You will have a temporary document that grants you the right to remain in France.
Using this document, you can stay in France as long as you want, but if you leave, you will need another visa to return.

After 1-2 months, your residence permit card is ready, you will be notified and you will have an appointment to pick it up.

Meanwhile, you are supposed to pay the visa tax (I'm not sure how I have not reached this stage yet)

If you can not return at the time of the appointment. Without worries 🙂

They will keep your card there for 3 years waiting for you to pick it up.

Then theoretically, you can come to France, apply for a residence permit and then leave. Then, a year later, use another type of visa to return and pick it up.

Be careful, however, you need an appointment to come pick it up. Appointments can only be made by email at this email address:

The place is the same "Police Prefecture, Place of Louis L & # 39; épine" but you have to go to Office 5.

Once you have this card, it will be ready 🙂 Bienvenue en France

Okay, that's it 🙂 This is my current experience. Again I could be wrong in some points or some points could have changed. Please, feel free to edit or tell me in the comments anything that has changed and should be modified.